For referrals or more information about our program, please call (833) 266-1891, go to online to sentara.com/Cancer
or Click Here for an online referral form.
Sentara Neuro-Oncology Center
The Sentara Neuro-Oncology Center at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital is offered in collaboration with the nationally accredited Sentara Cancer Network.
Our Approach to Care
Beyond our compassionate approach, you can be assured patients will receive the highest level of care. Patients can expect:
- Access to a variety of support services, including personalized nurse navigation, oncology trained licensed clinical social workers, travel concierge services, chaplaincy services, palliative care, American Cancer Society volunteers to connect patients and their families with community resources, as well as other supportive services
- Access to the most advanced brain tumor treatments available, such as Optune® (Transcranial electrical field), Brain Path® (minimally invasive cranial surgery), NeuroBlate® Laser Ablation and CyberKnife® Robotic Radiosurgery
- Minimally invasive brainsurgery wheneverpossible
- 6 Pillars Approach - Our neurosurgeons are using surgical approaches through smaller openings to reach and treat subcortical brain abnormalities in a targeted manner. While individual technologies have been available for some time, the 6 Pillars approach utilizes thefull potential of each technology component.
- Biweekly multidisciplinary tumor conferences with neurosurgery, medical oncology, radiation oncology, pathology, neuroradiology, endocrinology, otolaryngology, neurology and other team members to review each patient’s case and make recommendations for the
best course of treatment based on current evidence-based best practices
- Access to second opinions to provide patients with the best treatment and outcome
- Awake intraoperative brain mapping for preservation of important brain functions
- Access to clinical trials to deliver the most advanced treatments available
Minimally Invasive Treatment
We are the regional leaders in minimally invasive brain surgery – a technique which involves making only small incisions – to reach the brain. While some brain surgery does require a traditional, open approach, we always start with a minimally invasive philosophy. We believe minimally invasive surgery represents the ‘gold standard’ in patient care.
Brain Tumors We Treat
Our team provides consultation and treatment, including second opinions, for:
- Gliomas and Glioblastomas (GBMs)
- Metastatic tumors
- Pituitary tumors
- Acoustic tumors and other skull base tumors